Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shabbat Bread and Synagogue

Feb. 11th, 2011
Happy Birthday Yesterday Justin!
This morning I woke up at 4:30am to start my studies.  I’m really starting to get hooked to this whole “Go to bed early and wake up with the trumpeting Arabic Melody of Muslim’s Call to Prayer” thing.  It is so refreshing.

Today we had 4 hours of class and then after lunch a few friends and I headed out in a Taxi van to the Shouk (a Jewish Flea Market.)  While we were driving over there I said to them all, “Guys!  We are in Jerusalem, it’s raining, we’re going to buy traditional Shabbat bread and having fun with our friends!!!”  It’s cool when you realize that you’re doing something that you’ve always anticipated.  I’m learning that it’s also important to recognize the good moments while you are in them.  I sometimes wonder if in the future I’ll say to myself, “Oh, the good ole days when I was 23.”  Am I appreciating this moment?
So we got our twisted Shabbat bread and some incredible croissants.  They tasted like a chocolate chip cookie + a cinnamon roll.  We also got fresh squeezed Pomegranate/Orange juice.  We walked about 45 min. back through the old city to the Jerusalem Center. 
When we got back, we went to the Synagogue with our Judaism Professor and his little boy.  His six year old son had a little Kippa/Yarmulke (or a lid on his head, as our professor called it.)  I really really enjoyed it!  We sat by a woman who said that she goes there to pray every day.  She is in mourning for her mother who had passed away 6 months ago.  She’ll be attending that frequently for another 6 months.  She told us that in the local Jewish community a typical family will have 4 kids and that a family of 7 kids is really big.  She was so friendly, as was everyone there, and the synagogue looked like a cultural hall at one of our churches.  There was a lot of singing and praying and standing and turning.   It was fun to see all ages and types of people there, just like at our church.  I’ve come to really respect these faithful and devoted people. 
I’m falling in love with this city and the good people here.  I’m going to be speaking in Galilee in Spanish and singing in Spanish and helping with Primary!  Yay!
PS- Everyday here isn’t like this.  FYI- I’m studying a million hours a day and in class, I just don’t want to bore you all with those details.     

No comments: